Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Wuthering Heights

Well, I finally finished reading Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte. I wasn't very impressed. It was definitely better than Northanger Abbey, by Jane Austen, but not nearly as good as Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte. I guess since the authors were sisters, I thought that I would love it since I thought that Jane Eyre was one of the best novels ever written. Oh well.

I read Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen, and I thought it was one of the worst novels ever written. I was so disappointed because I'd always wanted to read one of Austen's novels! Did I just read the wrong one? Should I try Pride and Prejudice? Anyone have an opinion on that one? In Northanger Abbey, the characters just talked through the whole book. I kept waiting for something to happen, and it just didn't. They walked, talked, went to balls, talked some more...yawn. This was only the second book I've ever read where I closed the book after finishing it and said, "Well that was a huge waste of time."

I've read some good non-fiction lately. I'm not sure if I'll ever homeschool, but I've been reading up on it a bit just in case. Lisa Whelchel ("Blair" on "Facts of Life") has written a great book called, So You're Thinking about Homeschooling. She has fifteen homeschooling families tell how/why they homeschool. It was very informative. The appendix has great resources too. I liked Lisa's writing so much that I just bought her book, Creative Correction. I need all the help I can get when it comes to discipline!

Does anyone out there enjoy reading Dickens??? I've tried to start A Tale of Two Cities SO many times, and I get stuck after about 50 pages. I'll read three paragraphs and think, "What in the world is he talking about?" Can anyone relate? When I try to read his novels I feel pretty dumb. I think I'm just going to have to accept the fact that I'm not a Dickens kind of girl and move on to other authors. Sorry Charles.

On another note...could anyone tell me how to underline words/phrases in html? I hate to write all of the book titles with no underlines.

1 Comments:

At 8/1/08, 5:17 AM, Blogger Kathleen W. said...

I was an English major in college and I absolutely hated Dickens. I found the writing to be so tedious and boring, and I always wondered why he was in the canon of literary greats. Hopefully it's not just because of a Christmas Carol or the sheer body of his work.

Thanks for stopping my my blog!

http://katydidandkid.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page